BCG Developments (BCG) is committed to preserving and protecting the heritage of the IOCO Lands site and buildings.
Thirteen remaining vacant townsite buildings, including the groceteria, IOCO Hall and 11 homes had fallen into noticeable disrepair in recent years. BCG has invested significant cost and time into restoration, maintenance, fencing, and on-going security work for all 13 buildings, based on recommendations from leading heritage consultant, Don Luxton.
In 2015, Donald Luxton & Associates developed a report and plan outlining recommendations for preservation and maintenance measures that should be undertaken to ensure the buildings are compliant with the National Park Service’s guidelines for historic buildings. BCG completed all the preservation work and maintenance work is ongoing.
The IOCO Lands were originally the location of a townsite for workers at an oil refinery that began operation in 1915. By 1917, approximately 200 residents lived within the townsite which included a school and two grocery stores. Fifteen cottages and a large boarding house were built for accommodations. By 1924, 83 houses were built along with a community hall, tennis court and two churches.
Today, 13 vacant buildings still stand – the grocery store, the community hall, and 11 residences.
BCG will continue to ensure the protection of IOCO heritage is a key component of the project throughout and beyond the planning process.